| WBC: Mexico vs United States
| Wednesday, March 08, 2006
|I'm an enormous fan of the show 24. I've been watching it as close to "real time" as possible with a friend who got me hooked a few episodes into season one. The past 4+ years we've had a "24" night where we either catch it as it's shown or we record it and watch it afterwards. Last night there were 2 episodes on and we only got through one of them so I was planning on heading back over tonight to catch the other. This comes back into the post shortly.
The WBC game started at 3:00pm my time so I called my brother and asked if he could TiVo it if he wasn't already. I didn't want to know anything about the results at all so I stayed away from anything as best I could that might tip me off to the score/outcome. Head over to my friend's around 8 to watch the other 24 episode and then going to head over to my brother's to pick the game up and start watching. He's not too big of a sports fan, especially on tv and even more so with baseball. First thing he says, "So, the U.S. won by like 2 points right? Two - nothing?". Unbelievable.
Currently about 10:30 and I've started watching and I'll give some random tidbits until I get bored with typing.
- Game 1 in Phoenix, Arizona - presented by Taco Bell.
- Clemens vs South Africa - Friday. I'm stoked already.
- Commentators talking about how the U.S. team is a lot like the 1st Olympic Dream Team and talked about how they had to come together and play as a team and to support their line of thought they give a quote from Jeter about the Classic, "Nobody will remember who wins the MVP here but everyone will remember what team won".
- Odd seeing Jeter in a white uniform that doesn't have pinstripes.
- Jeter, Damon and A-Rod are the 3 outs for the U.S. in the 1st inning. Way to represent the Yanks for your first at bats...
- I never put this together until now but Jason Varitek and A-Rod are both playing for the U.S. That has to be awkward with the infamous shove to the face Varitek gave A-Rod back in 2004 that almost turned into a brawl at Fenway.
- Someone needs to figure out how to make the commercials as separate chapters for this TiVo thing on DVD. Already sick of the fast-forwarding.
- Jake Peavy had some good stuff. 3 innings pitched, 21 pitches, 3 strikeouts and 9 batters faced (thanks to 2 double plays).
- The whole "Damon: former Red Sox and Boston hero now turned Yankee" stuff needs to stop - every baseball fan knows this already - but sadly it's going to go on and on and on all year.
- Derrek Lee homers in the 4th, 1-0 USA.
- Commentators observe that had Jeter and Clemens both not been here that it wouldn't be a true representation of team USA. I agree.
- Chipper Jones hits a first pitch 1 run shot in the 7th as one of the commentators is talking about him hitting a home run in a game against the Giants a couple days ago - he also gets described as the "Derek Jeter of the National League".
- Yankee hitters go 3-9. Not bad considering the team went 6-29. I retract my earlier sarcastic remark.
And from the Dominican Republic vs Venezuela...
- David Ortiz still scares me. 3 at-bats, 2 home runes, 3 RBIs today. Why does he have to play for Boston? He's a Yankee killer.
- The U.S. isn't the team to beat - the Dominican Republic is the team to beat with an offense like that (11-5 win over Venezuela).
Tomorrow team USA plays Canada at 3pm CST. Brother already said he was going to start TiVo-ing all the USA games plus any other he could - good stuff. I love baseball season!
|posted by David Jones @ 12:04 AM