Jonesy's Babble

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures." Ash, Army of Darkness

 
Bloggers
Alan Lepofsky
Andrew Pollack
Bruce Elgort
Chris Linfoot
Chris Whisonant
Curt Stone
Ed Brill
Jake Howlett
Joe Litton
Julian Robichaux
Mac Guidera
Paul Mooney
Phil Randolph
Philip Storry
Richard Schwartz
Rocky Oliver
Wild Bill Buchan
WBC: Mexico vs United States
Wednesday, March 08, 2006
I'm an enormous fan of the show 24. I've been watching it as close to "real time" as possible with a friend who got me hooked a few episodes into season one. The past 4+ years we've had a "24" night where we either catch it as it's shown or we record it and watch it afterwards. Last night there were 2 episodes on and we only got through one of them so I was planning on heading back over tonight to catch the other. This comes back into the post shortly.

The WBC game started at 3:00pm my time so I called my brother and asked if he could TiVo it if he wasn't already. I didn't want to know anything about the results at all so I stayed away from anything as best I could that might tip me off to the score/outcome. Head over to my friend's around 8 to watch the other 24 episode and then going to head over to my brother's to pick the game up and start watching. He's not too big of a sports fan, especially on tv and even more so with baseball. First thing he says, "So, the U.S. won by like 2 points right? Two - nothing?". Unbelievable.

Currently about 10:30 and I've started watching and I'll give some random tidbits until I get bored with typing.

  • Game 1 in Phoenix, Arizona - presented by Taco Bell.
  • Clemens vs South Africa - Friday. I'm stoked already.
  • Commentators talking about how the U.S. team is a lot like the 1st Olympic Dream Team and talked about how they had to come together and play as a team and to support their line of thought they give a quote from Jeter about the Classic, "Nobody will remember who wins the MVP here but everyone will remember what team won".
  • Odd seeing Jeter in a white uniform that doesn't have pinstripes.
  • Jeter, Damon and A-Rod are the 3 outs for the U.S. in the 1st inning. Way to represent the Yanks for your first at bats...
  • I never put this together until now but Jason Varitek and A-Rod are both playing for the U.S. That has to be awkward with the infamous shove to the face Varitek gave A-Rod back in 2004 that almost turned into a brawl at Fenway.
  • Someone needs to figure out how to make the commercials as separate chapters for this TiVo thing on DVD. Already sick of the fast-forwarding.
  • Jake Peavy had some good stuff. 3 innings pitched, 21 pitches, 3 strikeouts and 9 batters faced (thanks to 2 double plays).
  • The whole "Damon: former Red Sox and Boston hero now turned Yankee" stuff needs to stop - every baseball fan knows this already - but sadly it's going to go on and on and on all year.
  • Derrek Lee homers in the 4th, 1-0 USA.
  • Commentators observe that had Jeter and Clemens both not been here that it wouldn't be a true representation of team USA. I agree.
  • Chipper Jones hits a first pitch 1 run shot in the 7th as one of the commentators is talking about him hitting a home run in a game against the Giants a couple days ago - he also gets described as the "Derek Jeter of the National League".
  • Yankee hitters go 3-9. Not bad considering the team went 6-29. I retract my earlier sarcastic remark.


And from the Dominican Republic vs Venezuela...
  • David Ortiz still scares me. 3 at-bats, 2 home runes, 3 RBIs today. Why does he have to play for Boston? He's a Yankee killer.
  • The U.S. isn't the team to beat - the Dominican Republic is the team to beat with an offense like that (11-5 win over Venezuela).


Tomorrow team USA plays Canada at 3pm CST. Brother already said he was going to start TiVo-ing all the USA games plus any other he could - good stuff. I love baseball season!
posted by David Jones @ 12:04 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: David Jones
Home: Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
- World Baseball Classic
- Quiz: Which sci-fi crew would you best fit in?
- Google Tech Talks
- Pulling data from a DB2 database using LSX (Show-n...
- Template Change
- Looking back at the football season
- Lotusphere 2006 Report
- Lotusphere Day Last
- Lotusphere Day Three
- Last two sessions today
Archives
Links
Taking Notes Podcast
The Morning News
TMN - The Non-Expert
Google News
Lotus Notes Wikipedia
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER