Jonesy's Babble

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures." Ash, Army of Darkness

 
Bloggers
Alan Lepofsky
Andrew Pollack
Bruce Elgort
Chris Linfoot
Chris Whisonant
Curt Stone
Ed Brill
Jake Howlett
Joe Litton
Julian Robichaux
Mac Guidera
Paul Mooney
Phil Randolph
Philip Storry
Richard Schwartz
Rocky Oliver
Wild Bill Buchan
Looking back at the football season
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
I was very quiet this football season on both college and professional football, I don't think I made even 1 post involving either. So I wanted to sit down and write a few thoughts I had about them.

You have to wonder about the NFL Officials. During the Colts-Steelers game (I'd like to see Peyton win a Super Bowl) you had to think that the NFL (or at least the officials) wanted the Colts to win. Lots of terrible calls. I only saw the first 10 minutes and then the last half of the Steelers-Seahawks game but there was some questionable calls there. I missed the D-Jack call(s) in the 1st half along with Big Ben's touchdown but the holding call that helped kill the Seahawk drive (it did look like some jersey was bundled but nothing uncommon or that would have been called in a regular season game) along with the penalty call on Hasslebeck for "blocking below the knees" (I think that's what the official said) for trying to tackle Taylor who had just intercepted the ball. Is the NFL trying to influence games?

The Dolphins did me proud...the Titans, no so much. I've been a Dolphins fan since I was 10 years old so when the Titans came to town I had a decision to make. You can't have 2 "favorites" in sports so staying with the Dolphins or switching over to the home team. I stayed with the Dolphins but will cheer for the Titans as well - providing they aren't playing the Dolphins.

The Dolphins had a lovely pre-season (1-4) followed by a lovely 1st half (3-5) before going to an impressive 3-7. Following the loss, Saban had his speech about "The record doesn't really matter, the result doesn't matter and the score in the game doesn't really matter". He got a lot of flak because of that statement from reporters and columnists everywhere but oddly enough, the Dolphins won every single one of their remaining schedule to finish 9-7. Granted the wins were at teams with the records of (4-6), (4-7), (8-4), (3-10), (4-10), (10-5) - so maybe that isn't saying a lot. Some said the Pats didn't want to win the last game of the season so they could go play the Jags instead of the Steelers or Bengals but I don't know if anyone really tries to lose a game. I can't wait for next year even though I think it will be tough to make the playoffs because of only 2 wildcard spots plus the Patriots should come back and still have a great season in the division.

The Titans finished 4-12 with wins against Houston (x2 - a lot to be proud here - especially with the Houston kicker missing that field goal the 2nd time they played. Watching that kick he HAD to have missed on purpose so Houston could stay in 1st place in the "Reggie Bush sweepstakes"), Baltimore & San Francisco. 14 of 16 games they allow 20+ points (8 were 30+) and were outscored 421-299. Unless they've tried to trade up or down, they get 3rd pick in the draft. You have to assume that the top 3 picks are Bush, Leinart and Young although Jay Cutler from Vanderbilt has been getting a lot of praise. Houston is saying they're taking Bush. New Orleans will probably take Leinart leaving Young. I don't see how the Titans can pass up on him although that's a lot of money to not be a full time starting QB since McNair is still going to be around. McNair spent the last few years mentoring Young so maybe it's a great pick. I'm just glad I'm not the one(s) making the call on this one.


As for Division I College Football, I don't have as much to say because I can't remember all that much but here are the top 5 things.
1.) Texas beating USC - Made my football year. Best football game, at any level, that I've seen in a long long time. I think it actually lived up to all the hype - which is rare these days.
2.) Vanderbilt beating the UT Vols. Last time was over 2 decades ago and with the UT Vols fans here outnumbering even the Titans fans, gotta love it.
3.) LSU's clobbering of Miami. Who saw that one coming? I thought this one would have been one of the top 4 best bowl games to watch.
4.) SEC was a disappointment in the big bowl games. Auburn and Georgia losing like that was tough to watch and Spurrier (South Carolina) blew a 21 point lead.
5.) MTSU beating Vanderbilt on a blocked field goal with only seconds left. MTSU is now 3-0 against them.
posted by David Jones @ 6:08 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: David Jones
Home: Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
- Lotusphere 2006 Report
- Lotusphere Day Last
- Lotusphere Day Three
- Last two sessions today
- Lotusphere Day Two
- Opening Session
- Beach Club Resort
- Arrived in Tampa
- Lotusphere Session Schedule
- Mail disappearing in Trash - Mac 6.5.4 on OS X
Archives
Links
Taking Notes Podcast
The Morning News
TMN - The Non-Expert
Google News
Lotus Notes Wikipedia
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER