Jonesy's Babble

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures." Ash, Army of Darkness

 
Bloggers
Alan Lepofsky
Andrew Pollack
Bruce Elgort
Chris Linfoot
Chris Whisonant
Curt Stone
Ed Brill
Jake Howlett
Joe Litton
Julian Robichaux
Mac Guidera
Paul Mooney
Phil Randolph
Philip Storry
Richard Schwartz
Rocky Oliver
Wild Bill Buchan
Sendmail headaches
Wednesday, August 17, 2005
Today was rather disappointing. Spent a good part of the day trying to get Sendmail to work how I want it to with no luck. I want it to accept emails only from localhost but I want to be able to send emails out to anyone using my PHP script if they choose to be notified via email. I wouldn't think that's asking for much but I can't get it to work. What I currently have is a server that can send emails to local users only.

When I try to send to anyone else
RCPT TO:<user@somedomain.com>
I get... well, I was getting a User Unknown - Error 5.1.1 or something like that. I just logged in to the box to try it so I could get the exact message but it worked like a charm. How in the world... when I left work 4 hours ago I was getting the error and I'm the only one who can log in to the box so... I dunno.

Actually, I think I know what the problem was. Monday I asked our firewall admin to open up port 25 for SMTP traffic and I thought he did but around 3:30 today he said there was a rule conflict somewhere and all he had done Monday was open it up so port 25 traffic could come in, not go out. He made the changes around 4:00 to allow port 25 traffic out and I guess it just takes at least an hour for the firewall rules to update. I'll remember that in the future.

I'd almost say the entire day was wasted because of that stupid firewall rule but I learned a lot in all my google searches trying to fix all sorts of configuration settings. I should be glad all the changes I made didn't kill the server. I guess that counts for something...

posted by David Jones @ 9:00 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: David Jones
Home: Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
- The Autumn Effect / Extra innings disasters
- Sendmail and Webmin
- Hot 100
- MLB 2006 for the PS2
Archives
Links
Taking Notes Podcast
The Morning News
TMN - The Non-Expert
Google News
Lotus Notes Wikipedia
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER